The Word ordinances (ordain) means to appoint, decree, establish, and enact. Jesus has set in the church certain ordinances. He has appointed, decreed, and established that the church observe them perpetually
during the Church Age.
God ordained in the Old Testament certain feasts (Passover, Pentecost, etc.) which ere lessons or memorials of God dealing with them. They were also points of contact, such as the Year of Jubilee, which was held every 5th years after the Day of Atonement (Passover). When they heard the trumpet, every man was freed of debt and went back to his possessions (Leviticus 25:9-10).
These New Testament ordinances: Water Baptism, Communion and Laying on of Hands are set in the Church as a picture of our Redemption, memorials and points of contact to release faith.
- Baptism – Mark 16:15-16; Acts 8:36-39
- Water Baptism in the Early Church was the first expression of faith.
- Only one thing necessary – you must be born again.
- The power of God is evident in 2 scriptural accounts of Baptism – Jesus’, and the eunuch’s.
- Why should you be baptized?
- Obedience – the scripture commands it.
- Faith – faith in an act. Baptism is an action of faith.
- Good Confession 2 Timothy 6:12; Matthew 10:32
- Good Conscience 1 Peter 3:21
- Identification Romans 6:4
- Communion – 1 Corinthians 11:23-24
- New Testament Communion finds its type in Old Testament Passover Exodus 12; Luke 22: 15-20
- Memorial Supper – remember, reflect, forget not His benefits
- Body – Bread.
- Jesus’ body broken for our healing I Peter 2:24; 2 Corinthians 30:20
- The body of Christ is the bread 2 Corinthians 10:16-17
- Blood – Wine
- Necessary to judge ourselves that we be not judged
- Body – Bread.
- Laying on of Hands – Hebrews 6: 1-2
- Old Testament foundations – Moses, Joshua
- Brought into prominence with Jesus Luke 4:4-14; Mark 6:5
- Healing Mark 16:15-20
- Baptism of the Holy Ghost Acts 9:6, 17
- Contact and transmission Acts 8:14-21
- To receive gifts, as the Spirit wills 1 Timothy 4: 14; 2 Timothy 1: 6
- Commissioning of Ministries Acts 13:1-3; Acts 6